Do you know the acronyms teens really use on social media ?
“Wouldn’t it be interesting to do a piece on the acronyms that teens are using across the Internet, especially on social media and apps, to help parents understand what, in fact, their kids are talking about?” I thought.
So what better way to know what acronyms and other shorthand teens, or in this case, 13-year-olds, use on social media than to scan their posts? Here are some of the more popular acronyms and sayings, from the innocent to the racy.
Here it goes the list…
1. OOTD – Outfit of the day
2. KOTD – Kicks of the day — Typically refers to sneakers
3. HMU – Hit me up — Usually asking for someone’s Snapchat username, a phone number to text or for a direct message
4. Smash – I would have sex with you — A girl might post a provocative picture and a boy might write “smash.”
5. Cook session – When one or several teens gang up on another kid on social media
6. TBH – To be honest — A teen might post a picture of himself or herself and ask for a TBH, usually looking for positive responses.
7. TBR – To be rude — While TBH often leads to positive responses, TBR is usually followed by a negative response.
8. OOMF – One of my followers — A secretive way to talk about one of their followers without saying their name, such as “OOMF was so hot today.”
9. BAE – Baby — affectionate term for someone’s girlfriend, boyfriend etc.
10. WCW – Woman Crush Wednesday — A girl will post a picture of another girl she thinks is pretty, while guys will post pictures of girls they think are hot.
11. MCM – Man Crush Monday — Similar to Woman Crush Wednesday, but featuring pictures of men
12. BMS – Broke my scale — A way to say they like the way someone looks
13. RDH – Rate date hate — As in “rate me, would you date me, do you hate me?” A typical response might be “rate 10 date yes hate no” or “10/y/n.”
14. IDK – I don’t know
15. RN – Right now
16. KIK – Another social media app, Kik, that they want to communicate on
17. FML – F*** my life
18. AF – As f*** — A teen might tweet “mad af” or “you seem chill af.”
19. LMAO – Laughing my ass off
20. S/O or SO – Shout out
21. ILYSM – I like you so much or I love you so much
22. CWD – Comment when done — Similar to TBH, urging others to comment on their photo of whatever they’re posting
23. LOL – Laugh out loud — Yes, you’ll still find teens using LOL and OMG.
Hope this helps !